News

Whilst School-Centred Initial Teacher Training (SCITT) is very popular due to its flexibility and revolving around first-hand experience from day one, another option is to take one of the recently created teaching apprenticeships that are available across England. This is another work-based route into a career in teaching, which comes with Qualified Teacher Status upon successful completion of the course.

Teaching apprenticeships are excellent because you can earn while you learn, with no tuition fees biting into your paychecks You can apply to take one if want to become a primary or secondary school teacher in England, providing you already hold a degree awarded by a UK higher education provider or a recognised equivalent qualification, plus GCSEs in English, mathematics and science. You’ll also need to pass the professional skills tests in numeracy and literacy before you begin your teacher training.

As a successful applicant, you will then begin training inside a school, which could be one that you’re already working at, perhaps as a teaching assistant, or have an existing relationship with. The apprenticeship takes four school terms to complete, which depending on the provider could be split between your main school and an additional placement in an alternative school in order to broaden your experience.

During the apprenticeship, 80% of your time will see you training in a genuine classroom environment, with the other 20% dedicated to learning teaching theory. This means that dedication, patience and an open mind are crucial qualities that will help you to succeed. Employed directly by the school as opposed to a third-party organisation, your training will be delivered by multiple educators who are experienced at guiding prospective teaching staff toward a fulfilling career.

The result is a valuable mix of one-to-one advice, classroom-based training alongside experienced professionals, working closely with students, studying pedagogy techniques off-timetable, and fully understanding what the role comprises before entering your year as a Newly Qualified Teacher.

With the current teacher recruitment crisis causing major concern across the UK, and the government falling about 10% short of its target to entice 32,226 people into teacher training in 2018, a range of alternative routes for teacher training is essential. By offering training at universities, via SCITTs, and as apprenticeships, the Education Secretary aims to fill the gap and ensure that the next generation of teachers has everything it needs to support and inspire young minds.

What are your thoughts regarding teaching apprenticeships? Join the conversation on social media by tagging us in #TeachNorthwest